MBCA will award its first of five annual scholarships beginning in 2017 through a generous bequest from Ruth Denison, a long-time supporter of the association. Ruth Denison was the first Buddhist teacher in the United States to lead an all-women's retreat for Buddhist meditation and instruction. Her center, Dhamma Dena Desert Vipassana Center is located in Joshua Tree, California. This bequest fulfills one of MBCA’s long standing goals to increase the organization’s support of environmental education for local students who plan to attend a university or college and prepare for employment in careers related to environmental or conservation work.
This first Ruth Denison Environmental Conservation Scholarship of $500.00 will be presented by MBCA to one qualified student to be applied to tuition and fees for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Please review the following Ruth Denison Environmental Conservation Scholarship guidelines thoroughly before completing this application.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements at the time of application will not be considered. Applications that are incomplete or received after the postmark deadline also will not be considered.
Criteria for scholarship award selection:
- Scholastic achievement;
- Demonstrated motivation to pursue education and a professional career with emphasis on environmental conservation or in a similar field;
- The quality of the student’s essay; and
- Commitment to full-time enrollment at an accredited university or college.
Eligibility and application requirements:
- Applicants must be a senior enrolled in a certified high school program and living within the Morongo Basin in the 2016-17 academic year.
- Applicants must be planning to attend an accredited post-secondary institution with a declared major in a field that can lead to a career in environmental conservation or a similar field.
- Applicants must send an email from the email address on their application. This email must contain the applicant's name as well as:
- The requirements for the applicant's major
- An essay of no more than 500 words addressing the following topics (please double space your text):
- Describe your educational goals and how they relate to environmental conservation.
- Describe your career goals and what motivates you to pursue a career in environmental conservation or a similar field.
- What are some of the issues that you would address through your future career, if given the opportunity?
- Applicants must submit at least two current letters of recommendation; one must be from a teacher and the second may be from a teacher, counselor, or school administrator.
- Applicants must submit a personal letter of recommendation from someone outside of their family.
To Receive Scholarship funds:
- The student must have received a high school diploma with a GPA of at least 3.25;
- The student must show proof of full-time enrollment (12 semester units or 16 quarter units).
Disbursement of Scholarship
Upon proof of full-time enrollment for fall term 2017, a check for $500.00 will be disbursed to the student.
To submit your application, it is recommended that you first view the complete application. (the underlined text would be a link to the pdf of the word document). Then, once you have gathered all the necessary information, you may fill out your application online.