- Desert Wise Living Landscape Tour 2020 goes virtual !
- Petition to list Yucca brevifolia as a threatened species.
- A week of Invasive Species Lunchtime Webinars.
- Opposition to Yellow Pine Solar Project
- Action on Eagle Crest Pumping Opposition.
- Funding Mojave Trails Acquisition
- Environmental Justice in Lucerne Valley.
- Opposition to Habitat Conservation Fund Budget Trailer Bill.
- Support for AB3030 For Land and Water Conservation.
- Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease found in the Morongo Basin.
- Ruth Denison 2020 Environmental scholarship recipient.
- Earth Day
- 50th Anniversary Commemorative book distribution
- Desert Wise Living Landscape Tour 2020 postponed
- MBCA and social media initiative
- Ruth Denison Environmental Scholarship: 2020 recipient
- OHV enforcement in the Basin: the Sheriff’s report
- Protecting our dark night sky
- Advancing protection for Joshua trees
- Mountain lions to be considered for protection
- Eagle Crest pumped storage update
- Morongo Basin health care capability vs COVID-19
Environmental Conservation Scholarship History
MBCA's $500 Ruth Denison scholarship is available through a generous bequest from Ruth Denison, a long-time supporter of the association. Ruth Denison was the first Buddhist teacher in the United States to lead an all-women's retreat for Buddhist meditation and instruction. Her center, Dhamma Dena Desert Vipassana Center, is located in Joshua Tree, California. This bequest fulfills one of MBCA's longstanding goals to increase the organization's support of environmental education for local students who plan to attend a university or college and prepare for employment in careers related to environmental or conservation work. You can learn more about her from this Hi Desert Star article following her death in 2015 or from the Ruth Denison Wikipedia page.
Nicole Serrano, Yucca Valley High School, 2017
Morgan Novak, Yucca Valley High School, 2018
Isabel Ortega, Yucca Valley High School, 2019
Annie Hilderbrand, Yucca Valley High School, 2020
Kahlena Alcantar, Yucca Valley High School, 2021
- San Bernardino County RECE Policy 4.10: Supervisors to vote on 2.28.19
- MBCA 50th and Energy Summit information now on-line
- Applications now being accepted for the 2019-2020 Ruth Denison scholarship
- Supervisors Schedule Special Meeting on RECE 4.10
- DOI Announces Intent to Reopen DRECP
- Missing in Action: SB Co. Renewable Energy Conservation Element
Nicole Serrano, graduating senior and valedictorian at Yucca Valley High School, has been awarded the first Ruth Denison Environmental Conservation Scholarship by MBCA. Nicole has been admitted to the University of California, Davis, to study animal science and environmental science. She is pictured here with Sarah Kennington, President of MBCA. Read more about Ruth Denison's inspirational life on our website's scholarship page.