See a variety of photos from this year's Tour on our Landscape Tour Review page. (And for information on where to purchase native plants for your own landscape, see MBCA's Native Plant Nurseries page!)
Here are the three prize-winning Landscape Tour Essay Contest winners. Click their name to read their essay.
1st place - Cynthia Heaton - $200 Unique Garden Center gift certificate
2nd place - Lisa Lafferty - $150 Cactus Mart gift certificate
3rd place - Cynthia Von Halle - $100 Cactus Mart gift certificate
Below are links to the other eight creative and thoughtful essays, in alphabetical order.
MBCA is pleased to announce the winners of the 2017 Desert-Wise Landscape Tour Essay Contest. The winners were selected in a very close vote. All of the submissions caught both the detail and the spirit of the "Desert-Wise" focus of the Tour. We thank the writers for submitting their thoughts and hope you will enjoy their creative essays. We also thank Unique Nursery and Cactus Mart for their support of the Landscape Tour by sponsoring the Essay Contest Prizes.
The First Place essay is by Rosalie Mendoza, who will receive a $200 Gift Certificate to Unique Nursery.
The Second Place winner is Ken Brock, who wins a $150 Gift Certificate to Cactus Mart.
And Susan Jordan is the Third Place winner. She will receive a $100 Gift Certificate to Cactus Mart.
The Hi Desert Star published Hilary Sloane's article "Landscaping tour shows off water-wise sanctuaries" on April 29.
See more photos of the Tour on the 2017 Landscape Tour Photos page.
If you participated in the Tour, consider submitting a short essay to describe your experience and win a gift certificate. Here are the details of the Essay Contest. The deadline for entry is May 15.
- Joshua Tree Airport Solar: Next Era solar project on 115 acres
- Alta Mira Gated Community Housing Project: 248 homes on 105.24 acres
- Proposed Dollar General Store goes back to court
- Camp Rock Solar / Camp Rock Road, Lucerne Valley
- Cadiz Valley Water Conservation, Recovery and Storage Project ("Cadiz")
- Eagle Mountain / JTNP Boundary Study
- YV High School student Julia Martinez receives MBCA support
- MBCA celebrated Emeritus Director Esther Herbert
- 2016 Desert Wise Living Landscape Tour a great success!
Things are warming up now finally after a cool May, eh? Hope your swamp coolers are serviced and ready to go for the summer ahead!
- 6th Desert Wise Landscape Tour
- Eagle Mountain Boundary Study
We have two quick messages for you today.
First, of course, we encourage you to attend the 6th Desert Wise Landscape Tour this weekend. It looks like the weather will be just perfect for the two days – clear, in the mid-70s, and not too windy! If you haven’t yet registered for the Tour, either register online by 5:00 PM this Friday, April 22, or register in person at one of the following locations on Saturday or Sunday. Although the sites span the Morongo Basin on both days, there are more West End sites on Saturday, and more on the East End including Twentynine Palms on Sunday.Read more
- SPARC Forum – Phase 2: Community Outreach
- San Bernardino County Renewable Energy & Conservation Element
- 2016 MBCA Desert-Wise Living Landscape Tour: April 23 & April 24
- CELEBRATING THE THREE NEW DESERT NATIONAL MONUMENTS
MARK YOUR CALENDARS…