- Altamira Gated Housing Project
- Joshua Tree Solar Farm
- Soda Mountain Solar Project
- Dollar General Store vs. Joshua Tree
- Homestead Valley & Pioneertown Community Plans
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture
The Board of Supervisors (BOS) voted August 16th 4-1 to deny the three appeals filed and gave their approval for development of the Joshua Tree Solar Farm – a 20 megawatt photovoltaic project to be located on 115 acres at the former Roy Williams Airport site. Many residents spoke in support of the appeals and more sent letters – clearly and strongly expressing opposition to this project in the rural residential community. Apparently our arguments, including that this is not an area that can accurately be characterized as “disturbed land” (it is relatively intact acreage) and therefore not appropriate for industrial scale solar were not convincing to the majority of Supervisors. They also discounted the fact that the site is visible from a hiking trail in Joshua Tree National Park – which according to the County’s own Renewable Energy and Conservation Element Framework is a criteria worthy of consideration. Only our 3rd District Supervisor, James Ramos voted in favor of the appeal to stop the project. Defend Joshua Tree has reported that a lawsuit or three to stop the project from moving forward seems likely. MBCA E-Blasts will keep you informed of these efforts. This battle isn’t over yet.
Federal and State Level Deny Soda Mountain Solar CertificationRead more
A DESERT VICTORY!
A DESERT VICTORY!
- Joshua Tree Solar Farm – video broadcast TOMORROW in JT
- Soda Mountain Solar – comment deadline 8/22/16
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture 9/24/16
- Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm - Appeal Hearing decision
- Broadcast live via videoconference at the JT Burke Government Center tomorrow, Tuesday, August 16th, starting at 1:00PM
MBCA, the Morongo Basin MAC, and others have strongly stated opposition to the Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm proposed by NextEra. The meeting on August 9 that begins at 10 AM in San Bernardino (or at the videoconference center in Joshua Tree) will likely be the last opportunity to stop the project that would have numerous harmful impacts to the local community, as well as visiting tourists (documented in links that follow).Read more
- Sand to Snow National Monument Collaboration Workshop
- Joshua Tree Community Plan meeting with San Bernardino County representatives
- Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm BOS Appeal Hearing
- Soda Mountain Solar BOS Hearing
- Dollar General: JT Downtown Business Alliance loses in State Court of Appeal
- Soda Mountain Solar Energy: SB Co. Supervisors decide on Aug. 23rd
- Big Bear Lake Xeriscape Garden Tour
- MBCA Founder Susan Luckie Reilly celebrated
- Pumped Dry: The Global Crisis of Vanishing Groundwater - June 8
- Salton Sea Action Committee's Ex-Officio & Stakeholders Meeting - June 9
- Emeritus Director Susan Luckie Reilly celebrates her 100th Birthday!
- Public Meeting: Land Use in the Johnson Valley Area
- Soda Mountain Solar: SB Co. Supervisors to decide future
- Joshua Tree Airport Solar: Next Era solar project on 115 acres
- Alta Mira Gated Community Housing Project: 248 homes on 105.24 acres
- Proposed Dollar General Store goes back to court
- Camp Rock Solar / Camp Rock Road, Lucerne Valley
- Cadiz Valley Water Conservation, Recovery and Storage Project ("Cadiz")
- Eagle Mountain / JTNP Boundary Study
- YV High School student Julia Martinez receives MBCA support
- MBCA celebrated Emeritus Director Esther Herbert
- 2016 Desert Wise Living Landscape Tour a great success!