MBCA Director Pat Flanagan is the 2017 recipient of the prestigious Minerva Hoyt Conservation Award. Background for the award and a list of previous recipients can be found on the Joshua Tree National Park Association's webpage. Many MBCA supporters recognize Pat as the author of dozens of comprehensive comment letters representing the stance of MBCA and our communities on various development and conservation issues. Her comment letters contain eloquent defenses of the need for preserving desert environments and provide in-depth research with science-based and referenced evidence. MBCA is very pleased that this recognition is being made for Pat's stellar contributions to MBCA and the entire desert community over many years.
Last December, many Morongo Basin and Mojave Desert residents were among the over 100,000 individuals across the country who commented in opposition to extreme fee increases for a number of National Parks including Joshua Tree National Park. Owing to the huge negative response, the Department of the Interior is reevaluating their plan; increased fees are still expected, but in smaller amounts. This Washington Post article provides background and details, including quotations from some impassioned commenters, and here is the local report by radio station KCDZ.
- Community Plans Comment period deadline: Dec.15, 2017
- National Park fee increase Comment period extended: Dec. 22, 2017
- Palen Solar Project Comment period deadline: Dec. 11, 2017
- Emergency Meeting on Joshua Tree National Park Fee Hikes: Thursday, November 2nd
- San Bernardino County Community Plan Town Hall Meeting: Monday, November 6th
The Morongo Basin is now home to an international Dark Sky Park. Joshua Tree National Park achieved their long-time goal of Dark Sky Park status bestowed by the International Dark Sky Association (IDA). This significant achievement is the result of several years of work by Park staff, providing data and receiving IDA representatives for review.
- Altamira Gate Community Housing Project
- Joshua Tree Airport solar project
- Eagle Crest Gen-Tie Project
- Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Act: Senate Bill 249
- Protecting Integrity of National Monuments
- 2017 Desert-Wise Landscape Tour a huge success!
- Sand-To-Snow and Mojave Trail National Monuments under review by Trump
- Eagle Crest Pumping Project
- County Renewable Energy Element Final Draft