Residents across the Morongo Basin have expressed concern about a proposed luxury camping development just off Old Woman Springs Road in Flamingo Heights. MBCA has sent a letter to the lead San Bernardino County contract planner emphasizing the need for a comprehensive Environmental Impact Report. A news story from local radio station KCDZ provides additional information.
The proposed Solar 66 project located in the Mojave Desert community of Daggett between I-15 and Highway 40 would provide 7 megawatts of solar power on about 134 acres. MBCA's comment letter on the County's Initial Study of this project points to concerns about flooding risks, air pollution, wildlife corridors, invasive species, and aesthetics.Read more
MBCA features prominently in an article and photo series by the Desert Sun about the Auto Camp Airsteam Resort under construction in Joshua Tree. The news article title aptly describes the concern: Glamping company brings Airstreams to Joshua Tree. Can development and nature coexist? The article includes comments from MBCA President Steve Bardwell, and he and Board member Pat Flanagan are included in the photo series accompanying the article.
The latest large-scale solar development proposed for a problematic desert location is Stagecoach Solar, proposed for the Lucerne Valley area. In this case we are pleased that many of our concerns about the project on behalf of east desert residents are mirrored by the two desert-area County Supervisors, District 3 Supervisor Dawn Rowe and District 1 Supervisor Robert Lovingood.Read more
- Attend MBCA annual meeting Saturday January 25 2020!
- Daggett Solar Power Facility Update
- Survey regarding Solar Energy Development in Southern California
- BLM seeking nominations for Resource Advisory Councils
Another strong case is made in a July 12 opinion letter in the Desert Sun against the proposed Paradise Valley housing development of more than 20,000 residents on the south side of Joshua Tree National Park. The piece by Gail Wadsworth, executive director of the California Institute for Rural Studies, focuses on the unmet housing and support needs of rural communities near the proposed site and how the development would be detrimental rather than supportive for residents in those communities.
- Submit your Desert-Wise Living Essay!
- Stop Cadiz! Support SB-307
- Alta Mira Development Defeated!
- Paradise Valley Development Threatens Joshua Tree National Park!
- West Mojave Route Network Project (WEMO) Land Use Plan Amendment published
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) workshop: Yucca Valley, May 18, 2019
- Cadiz / Assembly Bill 1000
- Eagle Crest Pumped Storage Project
- San Bernardino County RECE 4.10
- Altamira Gated Community Project
- Joshua Tree Solar Project