- Altamira Gated Housing Appeal hearing - Sept. 13
DRECP Record of Decision (ROD) Event – Sept. 14
We are all welcome to attend an event this Wednesday to mark the Record of Decision (ROD) that initiates the long anticipated DRECP (Desert Renewable Conservation Plan). Apologies for the late notice – MBCA just learned of it. Find the Department of Interior’s invitation below with details.Read more
Federal and State Level - Palen Photovoltaic Solar Project
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) announced in June 2016 that it is proposing a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the rejuvenated 500 MW Paln Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Project on 4200 acres of undisturbed desert ecosystem land east of Desert Center adjacent to the I-10 freeway.
MBCA sent a comment letter on September 3, 2016, focusing on dust pollution as a major problem for this project. You can read MBCA's detailed 3-page letter about the Palen project or a shorter one-page summary of the issues that concern us about this project.
- Altamira Gated Housing Project
- Joshua Tree Solar Farm
- Soda Mountain Solar Project
- Dollar General Store vs. Joshua Tree
- Homestead Valley & Pioneertown Community Plans
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture
SAVE THE DATES:
- Alta Mira Gated Housing Appeal hearing preparation – Sept. 1
- Alta Mira Gated Housing Appeal hearing - Sept. 13
- Homestead Valley & Pioneertown Community Plans – see below
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture – Sept. 24
Recent decisions were made on a couple long standing issues of concern to MBCA and our conservation partners. Opposition wages on as several others continue to wind their way through decision makers. We can however finally celebrate one wonderful victory.Read more
Federal and State Level Deny Soda Mountain Solar Certification
A DESERT VICTORY!
- Joshua Tree Solar Farm – video broadcast TOMORROW in JT
- Soda Mountain Solar – comment deadline 8/22/16
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture 9/24/16
Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm - Appeal Hearing decision
Broadcast live via videoconference at the JT Burke Government Center tomorrow, Tuesday, August 16th, starting at 1:00PM.
Hear each of the three Appellants will have 3 minutes each to speak, the developer NextEra’s 5 minutes in defense of the project, and the Supervisors vote and final decision. The public will not be given opportunity for additional spoken comment.
(NOTE: This special BOS meeting will NOT be available on the internet via a link – only at the Burke Center videoconference.)Read more
MBCA, the Morongo Basin MAC, and others have strongly stated opposition to the Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm proposed by NextEra. The meeting on August 9 that begins at 10 AM in San Bernardino (or at the videoconference center in Joshua Tree) will likely be the last opportunity to stop the project that would have numerous harmful impacts to the local community, as well as visiting tourists (documented in links that follow).
San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors (BOS) will conduct a public hearing to consider three appeals of a Planning Commission action to approve the Conditional Use permit to establish this 20-megawatt photovoltaic solar energy generating facility on approximately 115 acres at the former Hi Desert (Roy Williams) Airport. The Appellants are: Coalition for Responsible Solar, Socal Environmental Justice Alliances, and Joshua Tree Community for Responsible Solar, as well as individuals.
Re.: The appeals of the Joshua Tree Solar Farm Project (Main Project No. P201400482, Appeals No. P201600230, P201600234, and P201600230)
Read the official notice of the appeals hearing.
Read Joshua Tree resident Tom O’Key’s letter to the Hi Desert Star.
Read MBCA’s comment letter.
THERE IS AN IMPORTANT COUNTY RENEWABLE ENERGY MEETING THIS THURSDAY!
SPARC/ RECE Workshop - August 4th, Thursday
- Sand to Snow National Monument Collaboration Workshop
- Joshua Tree Community Plan meeting with San Bernardino County representatives
- Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm BOS Appeal Hearing
- Soda Mountain Solar BOS Hearing
- Dollar General: JT Downtown Business Alliance loses in State Court of Appeal
Here is a quick review of important meetings for several issues that have been on our radar for the past months. Would love to see you at these meetings to ensure the public interests are well represented – especially those aligned with MBCA’s mission!Read more