Cadiz: Federal OK, State Issue Unresolved
New Problem for Cadiz Water Project
Eblast July 14 2017
- Ord Mountain Solar Project
- Renewable Energy and Conservation Element (RECE) of the General plan
- Air quality monitoring
- Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Act (OHVRA) - SB 249
- Desert Water – Cadiz project & AB 1000
- Desert National Monuments – MDLT Desert Defenders
- NPCA Desert Manager – good-bye Seth Shteir & welcome Chris Clarke
Latest Effort Against Cadiz Water Project
MBCA has signed on to a letter initiated by the National Parks Conservation Association in support of California Legislation (AB 1000 - Friedman - "Desert Groundwater Protection") that seeks to increase California's involvement in the Cadiz project by requiring "a state review process for potential groundwater extraction projects in the California desert." Some alterations in the bill are expected during its consideration in order to prevent onerous state review requirements for local water district projects. We will update you as this bill progresses.
LA Times Op-Ed on Cadiz by MBCA Speaker
We encourage you to read today's Los Angeles Times op-ed about the Cadiz water project, "The ludicrous plan to pump Mojave Water to L.A.". The author, Peter Brooks, has been a featured speaker at two of MBCA's Desert-Wise Lectures. His focus in September 2015 was "The Future of Water: Understanding the Worlds's Most Precious Resource," and in September 2016 he presented "The future of energy and the grid for Morongo Basin" for MBCA. His LA Times opinion piece will give you an overview and update about why MBCA and many conservation groups and desert residents oppose the Cadiz project.
E-Blast May 2, 2017
- 2017 Desert-Wise Landscape Tour a huge success!
- Sand-To-Snow and Mojave Trail National Monuments under review by Trump
- Eagle Crest Pumping Project
- County Renewable Energy Element Final Draft
Cadiz Water Project Moves a Step Forward
Desert Sun Editorial on Eagle Crest Project
Cadiz, Inc. Project Commentary
2017 Annual Meeting & Water Symposium Report
At MBCA's 48th Annual Meeting on Saturday, January 28, members and supporters of MBCA heard a brief summary of MBCA's 2016 accomplishments and challenges, followed by an inspiring story of teaching high school students to appreciate the natural environment, ending with an information-rich panel presentation by local water officials.Read more