Letter: Support Land and Water Conservation Fund
Related MBCA News follows this letter.
Posted by· March 25, 2021 9:29 AMAdd your reaction ShareThe Center for Biological Diversity has filed a lawsuit against the Bureau of Land Management in response to an action taken in the final days of the prior administration that would ease the path for the Cadiz Water Project. A right-of-way for the water mining scheme was granted without any public review. Read the news item by local radio KCDZ 107.7 and the press release from the Center for Biological Diversity for the latest information on this decade-long battle against draining important desert water reserves.Posted by· March 14, 2021 10:20 AMAdd your reaction ShareMarina West, Manager of the Bighorn Desert View Water Agency and recently a Board member and Treasurer for MBCA, presented an illustrated virtual lecture on the "History of Water in the Morongo Basin: A Perspective on an Undervalued Resource" as a program for the Desert Institute, the educational arm of the Joshua Tree National Park Association. In this one-hour YouTube recording, Marina provides the Basin's water history in both geological and historical timeframes, with many anecdotes about the pioneers of harvesting water through the development wells in the Morongo Basin.Posted by· August 04, 2020 8:01 AMContinue reading → Add your reaction Share
Posted by· June 26, 2020 3:35 PMContinue reading → Add your reaction ShareMBCA is one of 27 diverse non-profit groups opposing any further consideration of the Eagle Crest Pumped Storage Project in this June 23rd letter to Governor Newsom and the co-chairs of the recently created Task Force on Business and Jobs Recovery.Posted by· June 08, 2020 5:23 PMContinue reading → Add your reaction Share
- Desert Wise Living Landscape Desert Tour 2020 goes virtual!
- Petition to list yucca brevifolia as a threatened species
- Opposition to Eagle Crest pumped storage project
- Reject nomination of William Pendley to head BLM
- Daggett Solar Energy project update
- Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease in the Morongo Basin
- Complete the 2020 Census
- Support MBCA through Amazon Smile
Posted by· June 03, 2020 8:13 AMContinue reading → Add your reaction ShareIn January 2020, MBCA sent a letter opposing state legislative action that would have enhanced the prospects for the Eagle Crest Pumped Storage Project on the border of Joshua Tree National Park. Chief among our concerns is the inevitable overdraft of underground aquifers in the area and for the Park, with dire consequences for the flora and fauna.Posted by· May 06, 2020 9:03 AMAdd your reaction ShareAs part of its Sewer Collection System Project for Yucca Valley, the Hi-Desert Water District must file a Mitigated Negative Declaration describing what environmental disturbance will occur in Phases II and III of the project and how the consequences will be mitigated. Here is the Water District's Draft MND webpage that includes an overview of the process and all the relevant documents. Comments must be submitted by May 31, 2020.Posted by· April 20, 2020 6:31 PMContinue reading → Add your reaction Share
- Desert Wise Living Landscape Tour 2020 goes virtual !
- Petition to list Yucca brevifolia as a threatened species.
- A week of Invasive Species Lunchtime Webinars.
- Opposition to Yellow Pine Solar Project
- Action on Eagle Crest Pumping Opposition.
- Funding Mojave Trails Acquisition
- Environmental Justice in Lucerne Valley.
- Opposition to Habitat Conservation Fund Budget Trailer Bill.
- Support for AB3030 For Land and Water Conservation.
- Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease found in the Morongo Basin.
- Ruth Denison 2020 Environmental scholarship recipient.
Posted by· March 09, 2020 9:50 PMAdd your reaction ShareA comprehensive article about the Eagle Mountain pumped storage project and similar projects in other areas of the country was published by the Los Angeles Times. MBCA has had continuing concerns about the use of the old Eagle Mountain mine for many years, especially as it relates to the environmental health of Joshua Tree National Park (which is noted in the article). To review past MBCA News Updates related to Eagle Mountain, go to MBCA's Search page and type in "Eagle" or "Eagle Mountain" and you'll find several dozen links to past relevant MBCA News and EBlasts.Posted by· October 02, 2019 12:03 PMContinue reading → Add your reaction Share
- Earth Day
- 50th Anniversary Commemorative book distribution
- Desert Wise Living Landscape Tour 2020 postponed
- MBCA and social media initiative
- Ruth Denison Environmental Scholarship: 2020 recipient
- OHV enforcement in the Basin: the Sheriff’s report
- Protecting our dark night sky
- Advancing protection for Joshua trees
- Mountain lions to be considered for protection
- Eagle Crest pumped storage update
- Morongo Basin health care capability vs COVID-19
A keenly interested audience of almost 60 attended MBCA’s Fall Desert-Wise Living Lecture on September 28.
Mojave Water Agency’s General Manager, Tom McCarthy, provided not only a clear presentation about MWA's history and processes, he also responded patiently and instructively to a number of detailed questions.See All Water related NewsDo you like this post?