EBlast January 13, 2020
- Attend MBCA annual meeting Saturday January 25 2020!
- Daggett Solar Power Facility Update
- Survey regarding Solar Energy Development in Southern California
- BLM seeking nominations for Resource Advisory Councils
Desert Large-Scale Solar Projects Update
For a review of the status of large-scale solar projects at the start of 2020, read the Desert Sun's January 3 story "Solar surges in California Desert." It summarizes the ongoing issues of large-scale vs. rooftop solar, environmental and endangered species concerns, and includes a list of current projects and their status.
EBlast December 8, 2019
- Appeal of Daggett Solar Power Facility to be heard by Board of Supervisors Tuesday December 10
- Fish and Game Commission to consider listing of Joshua Tree as a threatened or endangered species
- MBCA monthly Board Meeting venue change
- Hold the date for or annual meeting January 25, 2020
Riverside Supervisors Deny Paradise Valley
Riverside County Supervisors have denied the Paradise Valley project on a 5-0 vote despite the project applicant's request for the typical 90-day continuance. A number of MBCA representatives attended the November 5th meeting and were among those cheering the result. Read more details in the Desert Sun's November 6 story on the vote, and for background, read our News Update from August 21st when the Riverside County Planning Commission recommended that the Supervisors deny the project.Read more
EBlast September 26, 2019
- Paradise Valley to be heard by Riverside County Board of Supervisors
- Workshop Teaches New Skills to Empower Community To Defend The California Desert: Part Two.
Preserving the Future of Joshua Trees at MDLT
Mojave Desert Land Trust's Seed Bank is highlighted in this article in the San Bernardino Sun. While the preservation of Joshua Tree seeds is emphasized due to the recent news of a petition to declare it a threatened species, the Seed Bank currently has seed collections representing more than 180 species of native desert plants. Learn more about the Seed Bank and how to volunteer on the Nursery & Seed Bank page on the MDLT website.
New Petition Filed for Joshua Tree Protection
The Desert Sun reports that the Center for Biological Diversity recently filed a petition with the state's Fish and Game Commission for protection of the Western Joshua Tree from climate change by listing it as a threatened species under the California Endangered Species Act. The news article provides scientific and political background on the issue. The Commission has 10 days to certify the petition and send it to the Department of Fish and Wildlife, which then has 90 days to provide an initial recommendation. Here is the LA Times story on this topic.
"Water for the Morongo Basin: The Next 50 Years" Program Report
A keenly interested audience of almost 60 attended MBCA’s Fall Desert-Wise Living Lecture on September 28.
Mojave Water Agency’s General Manager, Tom McCarthy, provided not only a clear presentation about MWA's history and processes, he also responded patiently and instructively to a number of detailed questions.
Two Important Meetings Thursday
On Thursday, October 3, there are two important meetings we'd like to bring to your attention. We hope you'll consider attending one or both and offering your input.