- Altamira Gated Housing Project
- Joshua Tree Solar Farm
- Soda Mountain Solar Project
- Dollar General Store vs. Joshua Tree
- Homestead Valley & Pioneertown Community Plans
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture
SAVE THE DATES:
- Alta Mira Gated Housing Appeal hearing preparation – Sept. 1
- Alta Mira Gated Housing Appeal hearing - Sept. 13
- Homestead Valley & Pioneertown Community Plans – see below
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture – Sept. 24
Recent decisions were made on a couple long standing issues of concern to MBCA and our conservation partners. Opposition wages on as several others continue to wind their way through decision makers. We can however finally celebrate one wonderful victory.Read more
Federal and State Level Deny Soda Mountain Solar Certification
A DESERT VICTORY!
- Joshua Tree Solar Farm – video broadcast TOMORROW in JT
- Soda Mountain Solar – comment deadline 8/22/16
- MBCA Desert Wise Living fall lecture 9/24/16
Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm - Appeal Hearing decision
Broadcast live via videoconference at the JT Burke Government Center tomorrow, Tuesday, August 16th, starting at 1:00PM.
Hear each of the three Appellants will have 3 minutes each to speak, the developer NextEra’s 5 minutes in defense of the project, and the Supervisors vote and final decision. The public will not be given opportunity for additional spoken comment.
(NOTE: This special BOS meeting will NOT be available on the internet via a link – only at the Burke Center videoconference.)Read more
MBCA Founder Celebrates 100th birthday - June 22, 2016
Susan's 100th birthday party was held on June 22nd at the Oasis Visitor Center of Joshua Tree National Park. Most of MBCA's Directors were able to attend to honor Susan's legacy for the Park and the Morongo Basin. Ruth Rieman read a birthday message to Susan from MBCA (see below) and Park Superintendent David Smith promised Susan continued, dedicated stewardship of the Park in the future. David presented Susan with a "Susan Luckie Reilly doll," which is clothed in a Park uniform.Read more
MBCA, the Morongo Basin MAC, and others have strongly stated opposition to the Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm proposed by NextEra. The meeting on August 9 that begins at 10 AM in San Bernardino (or at the videoconference center in Joshua Tree) will likely be the last opportunity to stop the project that would have numerous harmful impacts to the local community, as well as visiting tourists (documented in links that follow).
San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors (BOS) will conduct a public hearing to consider three appeals of a Planning Commission action to approve the Conditional Use permit to establish this 20-megawatt photovoltaic solar energy generating facility on approximately 115 acres at the former Hi Desert (Roy Williams) Airport. The Appellants are: Coalition for Responsible Solar, Socal Environmental Justice Alliances, and Joshua Tree Community for Responsible Solar, as well as individuals.
Re.: The appeals of the Joshua Tree Solar Farm Project (Main Project No. P201400482, Appeals No. P201600230, P201600234, and P201600230)
Read the official notice of the appeals hearing.
Read Joshua Tree resident Tom O’Key’s letter to the Hi Desert Star.
Read MBCA’s comment letter.
THERE IS AN IMPORTANT COUNTY RENEWABLE ENERGY MEETING THIS THURSDAY!
SPARC/ RECE Workshop - August 4th, Thursday
- Sand to Snow National Monument Collaboration Workshop
- Joshua Tree Community Plan meeting with San Bernardino County representatives
- Joshua Tree Airport Solar Farm BOS Appeal Hearing
- Soda Mountain Solar BOS Hearing
- Dollar General: JT Downtown Business Alliance loses in State Court of Appeal
Here is a quick review of important meetings for several issues that have been on our radar for the past months. Would love to see you at these meetings to ensure the public interests are well represented – especially those aligned with MBCA’s mission!Read more
- Soda Mountain Solar Energy: SB Co. Supervisors decide on Aug. 23rd
Big Bear Lake Xeriscape Garden Tour
MBCA Founder Susan Luckie Reilly celebrated
Soda Mountain Solar Energy: SB Co. Supervisors decide on Aug. 23rd
MBCA and our conservation partners are urging San Bernardino County Supervisors to deny approval for the Soda Mountain Solar Energy Project. It is important the Supervisors hear from constituents with strong objections to approving the Soda Mountain Solar Energy Project – prior to the Supervisors next regular meeting on August 23rd when a decision will be made.Read more